Friday, June 1, 2012

Kansas City 5150 Amateur Champ

I collected my first Ironman 5150 amateur win on May 20 at The Kansas City Triathlon 5150. This was the first year with the 5150 name attached which did add a little draw because I had otherwise planned to attend Memphis in May again. Although I have not yet decided whether or not to attend the 5150 Championship at HyVee in Des Moines, I wanted to collect my free entry (top 5) and have it in my back pocket.
At less than three hours a way the KC Tri does provide a bit of a home court feel which was reinforced by the big group of family members wearing their "Nickel Racing Support Crew" shirts all over the course.
The amateur elite mens' field consisted of about 20 or so and we went off after the pro waves. I was eighth out of the water in 22.10 and about 2.40 down to the leader. The KC bike course is a two lap fairly hilly course with 3 out and back sections where I could easily check on where the leaders were at. I probably have a tendency to chase too hard so around mile 8 or 9 I moved into the lead and settled into a more controlled pace. I got off the bike with a 58.08 which was the best amateur bike split and a top 5 split overall including pros. The run was uneventful and I cruised around 2 laps for a 35.18 10k with the only hiccup a side stitch for the second lap. My finish time was 1.57.35 and 14th overall with pros. Next weekend I will be at Ironman Kansas 70.3.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well done yet again! I wish I was capable of running a 35:18 10K with a side stitch... or without one for that matter. Keep up the good work and good look at Kansas 70.3!