Monday, October 22, 2018

Ironman Louisville

IRONMAN Louisville turned out to be a true Ironman experience for my first attempt at the distance. That is to say survive and finish over place and time. Back in 1978, when the first 15 participants toed the line, they weren't sure if finishing in a day was possible. The evolution of the sport since then has shown that not only can it be finished but the best in the world are capable of doing it in under eight hours. I respected the distance enough to know finishing my first was the primary goal. With that in mind I still had my goal efforts set and the range of times/places I estimated that would be possible.
 My brother texted me the night before and reminded me it would be a great accomplishment just to finish. I thought about those words as I sat in a strangers car at mile 25 trying to stop shivering. I finished, and despite some difficulties, really did enjoy my first experience at this distance. 
The day started out in the 40s and raining. The swim was shortened to a .9M downstream swim due to a fast current. I was out in 14min.
Out on the bike I immediately knew I was not prepared enough as my gloves and arm warmers soaked through and I began to shiver uncontrollably by mile 15. My goal turned to survival and making it to the special needs area where I hoped to find help warming up. And that's where I ended up in my amazing volunteer's car with heat on full blast.
Although the cyclist in the back seat who had joined us for the same reason didn't hesitate to call his wife and throw in the towel I never considered it. Everyone says Ironman is about problem solving so all I knew was I needed to get my core temp back up before I put myself in a position of medical need and then secondly to find clothing that would allow me to continue without encountering the same fate again. Thus the heated car and then a gift in the form of a raincoat from another amazing volunteer, Andy, who was my second hero of the day. It took me 45 minutes to stop shivering and I headed back out (slightly behind goal pace). Within a couple miles I knew I had found my remedy. The teeth still chattered but it was rideable now. The hilly countryside and backroads really were serene and I'm sure if not suffering makes for viewing pleasure. I also pulled off a 4 car pass...not sure that's completely legal but we'll call it a grey area.
Still shivering a bit, and beginning to cramp a little, I headed onto the flat marathon (my 2nd ever). The rain was letting up and low 50s was perfect running weather. I warmed up and ran a fairly steady pace for the marathon finding the pain and focusing on keeping ahead on my nutrition. I finished strong and slightly faster the last couple miles with the pull of the family who I was excited to see again after a hard day at the office.
Although it wasn't a perfect day, they rarely are, and like my brother said it was a big accomplishment just to finish. I really enjoyed the journey and have such an appreciation for the volunteers as well as the opportunity just to be able to participate in such an event.
Thank you to my unbelievable family and support team who prove daily they are just as invested in my goals as I am.

No comments: